Translate

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

“Koninginnedag”

This week is a week off from school because it’s ‘Spring Break’. Up to now it has been a bit of a busy week (just have in mind that busy does not necessarily mean responsible-type-of-busy)... It has been from a “pool night” to a (supposedly) “poker/baking cake night” with friends; and from watching a friends’ football game to celebrating Queensday in Eindhoven. So, it was just until today that my two 'acquaintances', responsibility and discipline, knocked on my door, woke me up very early and made me set foot on earth! 



But what is this “Koninginnedag” blog post title all about? (I bet that if you are not a Dutch speaker you will have trouble pronouncing that... at least I do!). Well "Koninginnedag" is just a word invented by Dutch people to make fun of foreigners when they try to pronounce it! No, not really. It just means "Queensday" in Dutch. 

And what is "Queensday"? (If you are awake or    even semi-awake while reading this then you probably can figure it out without me having to explain anything because… … …) Queensday is the day of the queen, of the Dutch queen of course. 

It is not really the queen's birthday, but it’s her mother’s birthday - the ex-queen - and they celebrate her mother’s birthday because her birthday is in winter, and who wants to party outside in winter? (Yes, I know, it is pretty confusing).

(Don’t think I am a very ‘cult’ person, because I actually just googled all these things up. In fact when I just came to The Netherlands I didn’t even know that they actually had a queen).

And what is happening in Queensday? Well, if you like extremely crowded places, beer and feeling like you are standing in the middle of a stampede of ‘orange human beings’ then you’re in for a lot of fun. If you are not into any of those kinds of things, then you’re in for a lot of suffering; OR a surprise that you end up having a good time!


Personally, I’m not a fan of neither of those things, but I ended up having really GOOD TIME.
 

If only Queen Beatrix could celebrate her birthday more than once per year:


Incomplete video? Yes! I deleted the part when "some random person" tried to attack my friend with a beer while shooting the video. The best part definitely... sorry you missed it. I guess you’ll just have to go to Queensday 2013 to try yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment