Translate

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Indian odyssey

Porfavor next time remember me not to get sick of a cold before having to travel for 24 hours with permanent air conditioned! And not to drink a complete bottle of water before having to grab a 4 hour taxi with a driver who understands and speaks 0% of English language; though fortunately he read minds, because in the middle of the way he told me “time to break”, in a very pronounced/strong Hindi accent. 

It was then when I felt the ‘glory’!…Until I found out that, for my surprise,a ‘ladies toilet’ here in India pretty much means a hole in the floor (at least in that place it did!). I developed a new ‘skill’ now! Skill ‘PP07’(That was fast!).

But if you’re now thinking: “How challenging it is to go to the toilet in India!”… You should also try: “How challenging it is to find toilet paper!” or "how challenging is something as simple as crossing a street by foot".

I had to walk store by store with a piece of tissue in hand asking where could I buy ‘this kind of thing’. In the end a pharmacy was the key to the problem.
Then, in order to cross the street to the pharmacy and back again I had to wait like 20 minutes, so I wouldn’t become ‘smashed-Maria’, thanks to a motorcycle or a car.

To finish with this ‘odyssey’ of mine, on my way back to the hotel I ran into a big snake on the floor which, after I nearly had a heart attack, I figured out it was dead. 

Yes, ladies and gentleman, I do not know yet if I am glad or not to inform you that I have reached my so “mysterious subcontinent of India”! One thing is for sure though: I have already reached it!

A completely different planet! Where I am a completely ‘un-identified object’ or something like that (judging by the look most of the people give me when walking on the streets!).

How would I describe the place?
I’ve been here for approx. 9 hours, so I really do not know much yet! However, I can say that I am actually surprised to see that the 2 cities that I sort of saw during these past hours (Mumbai and Pune) look like ‘semi-destroyed’ or ‘semi-built’ (I haven’t quite decided yet which of these two descriptions suits them best!).

At the moment to be honest I’m a bit lost. I do not know much. Fortunately, I just met my internship supervisor and the organization’s director to clear some doubts.
But, when it comes to my ‘sense of direction’ I just know that I am staying at a hotel, that I really don’t know exactly whereit is located, in relation to the center of this city or… … …whatever!

What I do know just right about now is that, at the moment, this is how I lock my door:

Haha, funny!

There is no wi-fi, so I am now at the reception’s computer posting this.
The room smells like those sprays you use to kill bugs (it is a strong smell… so hopefully I won’t wake up like a dead bug tomorrow!). And, you know… I wanted to open the window to ‘air’ the room a bit, but (after my ‘cardiac’ experience today) I’m a bit paranoid of becoming a snake’s dinner!

Haha, I think I’ll stop, otherwise I’ll scare you all! 

It is not as bad as it sounds, promise. Plus, I’ve already managed to make some progress in accepting this country as my ‘habitat’ for the next 3 months and 1/2.

Lets just wait and see!

OK. It is time for me to LEAVE. I need a shower and some ZZzZzz… ‘cause I am a bit tired and tomorrow is the first day of “office”.

Tomorrow is the day we see India with ‘rested’ eyes.
[I didn't have battery in my camera, so I couldn't take pictures. Do that tomorrrrow!]

PEACE and NAMASTE! 


No comments:

Post a Comment